What is Sedation?
Sedation is a term used to reference a medically or chemically induced state of relaxation during dental and oral surgery procedures. Undergoing oral surgery can be stressful for patients who experience dental anxiety or those who are undergoing complex procedures, making it difficult to get the proper care that’s needed. At Santa Clara Oral Surgery and Dental Implants, we offer a variety of anesthesia options to patients to help them feel more relaxed and comfortable.
Benefits of Sedation for Oral Surgery Procedures
Don’t let fear of the unknown stand in the way of taking care of your oral health. Our team is dedicated to putting patients at ease from the moment they arrive, including offering a variety of anesthesia options so you can keep your beautiful smile healthy and vibrant.
Benefits of of sedation may include:
- Feel more relaxed. Put your dental anxiety to rest. Sedation can ease you into a calm and relaxed state for the duration of the procedure.
- Reduce stress. Anxiety and stress can be tied to extenuating issues with the cardiovascular and digestive systems, but when it comes to dental procedures, sedation can alleviate these concerns by stopping the stress in its tracks.
- Procedure seems shorter. Time can have the illusion of passing more quickly when under the effects of sedation, so a long procedure can feel as if it lasted just minutes.
- Overcome dental anxiety. Some patients discover after undergoing sedation for the first time, they no longer experience the dental anxiety they once did. This can be a lasting effect for some, potentially ending their dental anxiety permanently.
- Safe. Sedation is safe for most patients who are in overall good health. For those who may be at risk, the patient’s primary care physician is consulted to ensure that undergoing sedation is safe. Sometimes, sedation can even have the benefit of further increasing safety thanks to the patient’s relaxed state that keeps them calm and still throughout the procedure.
Are You a Good Candidate for Sedation?
If you experience feelings of anxiety, nervousness, or stress about dental visits, whether for a routine cleaning or a dental procedure, then sedation may be right for you. Sedation can be a helpful tool in managing or overcoming these feelings so you can continue to receive the care you need. A good candidate for sedation is in overall good health and receives approval from their primary care physician.
Why Choose Santa Clara Oral Surgery & Dental Implants?
At Santa Clara Oral Surgery and Dental Implants, when we say we do dental differently, we mean it. Our team strives to put our patients at ease from beginning to end of every appointment with us. If you suffer from dental anxiety and choose sedation, our team of highly skilled practitioners provide you with the utmost care and compassion.
FAQs About Sedation for Dental & Oral Surgery Procedures
Schedule a Consultation
Contact us today to learn more about sedation or to schedule a consultation at the location nearest you.